Followers

Sunday 7 October 2012

Tomato Gratin

Tomatoes, tomatoes.
our own crop
Last year it was apples we were "drowning" in, this year there are our garden-fresh tomatoes.
We have been eating tomatoes every day for the last two month and since they are so tasty, we haven't got tired of it.
But now: they are ripening way faster than we can eat them. I have to do something before they waste away.
Today we had tomato gratin for supper with brown rice. I went searching and
I found a good recipe here.
Had to change it a bit because I didn't have all the ingredients required.
spread slices in the dish
top with cheese and bread crumbs
bake it and enjoy!
What I used:
4 big tomatoes, sliced
1 thin sliver of garlic, minced (enough to give flavour but not overpowering)
2 dried rolls, crushed with a baking pin
1 cup breakfast ham, in cubes
1/2 cup bacon, in cubes
1/4 cup of sharp old cheddar, in cubes
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tblsp Italian herbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tblsp olive oil
2 leafs fresh basil. cut into pieces

Baked for 20 minutes by 425° F.
VERY tasty.

Tomorrow I will do the rest of my tomatoes.
Oven-baked tomatoes. Maybe you want to follow me there?

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than tomoatoes fresh out of the garden. We used to have so many we'd have to can them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty looking recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sounds wonderful! Unfortunately, I don't have the garden tomatoes to try it our on. But, anything with bacon, ham and cheddar cheese is bound to be tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.