Followers

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Stir-Fried Vegetables


Stir-fried Vegetables

For some time now I am trying to get more vegetables on the table, but it is not so easy to get out of the old routine, I can tell you. But writing about my way of cooking just shows it plain enough. We need to be more observant of what we eat. 


For now I cook "the old fashioned way", that means most of the stuff I am used to cook and what my husband loves to eat.  But I try to sneak something in that is more in the new direction, or I leave something out which we should do without. 


First thing was to leave the meat off my plate. I know that I will not get hubby to do the same. However he will be eating more leafy vegetables in the future, and other types of grains and legumes. 


I read through a lot of recipes recently and must admit that It is a bit confusing to say the least.  I stumbled over a gentlemen's plea for help ("the unwilling cook") who became a widower and had no clue how to cook. I understand what he went through when I read about whole foods and vegan cooking.
It is like learning a new language. So many new culinary terms to handle. 
Good to find glossaries and food definitions online.


Why do they name boiled rice for example "pilaf"?
Or "polenta" and not corn flour welling? 
(The logical answer is probably: it sounds more interesting.)


Well, I guess I will get used to it and, in no time use the same terms without thinking twice as the "unwilling cook" did too.


If you want to know what happened to him, try this link:


"An update from the unwilling cook"

Well, today I made a simple pan of stir-fry vegetables and rice for myself. J.P. got additionally his potatoes, and meat loaf with sauce to keep him happy. 


1 slice of rutabaga, 1 carrot, 1 parsnip and 1 tomato
salt, pepper, parsley
1 tsp. tahini (optional) 
olive oil
Chop the vegetables in thin stripes and sauté in olive oil until tender. Season with salt, pepper, tahini and parsley
Boil 1/4 cup of rice. 
My version of Tahini


*Tahini. I learned is crushed sesame seeds with olive oil. I rummaged through my pantry and came up with a small amount sesame seeds that I used to have on my home made breads. I toasted the seeds slightly in a pan, then I took my kitchen -aid and crushed the seeds, mixed some olive oil and a pinch of salt with it. TaDa! - a simple Tahini is done. As it reads, can be used in vegetable dishes, as bread spread and more. I have to find out.


Seit einiger Zeit versuche ich nun schon "gesünder" zu kochen aber es ist garnicht so einfach aus der alten Routine zu kommen. Im Moment koche ich noch nach "alter Väter Sitte" aber ich versuche schon mal das ein oder andere Neue hinein zu schmuggeln oder weg zu lassen. Zum Beispiel esse ich wesentlich weniger Fleisch. Höchstens einmal etwas Huhn oder Fisch. Als Nächstes soll noch mehr grünes Gemüse auf den Teller, und verschiedene Kornarten und Hülsenfrüchte.


Ich habe in letzter Zeit viele Rezepte durchgelesen und fühle mich leicht verwirrt. Es ist als ob man eine neue Sprache erlernen soll. So viel merkwürdige neue Ausdrücke. Gut das man online die Erklärungen finden kann.
Warum muß gekochter Reis unbedingt "Pilaf" heißen?
Oder Maisgrütze den Namen "Polenta" haben.
Wahrscheinlich weil es sich interesanter liest. 
Na ja, ich werde mich schon noch dran gewöhnen und warscheinlich mit den neuen Wörtern so schnell vertraut werden daß es mir gar nicht mehr auffällt wenn ich sie benutze.


Heuter habe ich eine einfache Gemüsepfanne und Reis für mich gemacht. J.P bekam dazu seinen Hackbraten mit Soße und Bratkartoffeln. 


1 Scheibe Steckrübe, 1 Karotte, 1 Pastinack, 1 Tomate
Salz, Pfeffer, Petersilie, Olivenöl
1 Teel. Tahini*
1/4 Tasse Reis
Das Gemüse in feine Streifen schneiden und mit Olivenöl sautieren bis sie anfangen weich zu werden. Mit Salz, Pfeffer und Petersilie würzen. Eventuell Tahini dazugeben. Den Reis mit Wasser oder Brühe gar kochen.


* Tahini. Ich habe gelesen das dies eine Paste aus  Sesamkörner und Olivenöl ist. Nachdem ich meinen Vorratsschrank durchgesehen hatte fand ich eine kleine Menge Sesamkörner die ich bisher nur zum Brotbacken benutzt habe. Die Körner wurden in einer Pfanne leicht angeröstet, dann mit der Küchenmaschine zerkleinert und mit etwas Salz und Olivenöl zu einer Paste vermischt. Simsalabim - schon war mein Tahini fertig. Nun muß ich nur noch herausfinden wo ich es verwenden kann.
Jeg prøver allerede en stund å lage mer sunt mat. Det er ikke helt enkelt. "Gammle vaner er vond å vende" tenker jeg ofte. Men det skal bli mer grønnsaker, bønner og slik i maten vår. Og mindre kjøtt, ihvertfall for min del.
Jeg leste igjenom en hel haug med oppskrifter og er blitt litt forvirret. Det er så mange nye uttryk, det er som å lære et nytt språk. 
Hvorfor må det være "pilaf" istedenfor kokt ris? Eller "polenta" hvis det dreier seg om maisgrøt. Kanskje fordi det høres mer interessant ut.
Jeg vil bli kjent med det, og omsider kommer til å bruke de samme uttrykkene uten å tenke på det.
Idag laget jeg en enkle rett. En hel panne fyllt med grønnsaker og kokt ris atått. Gubben fikk kjøttpuddingen med saus of stekte poteter. 


1 skive med kålrot,     1 gulrot,    1 pastinakk,    1 tomat
salt, pepper, persille olivenolje
1 ts Tahini *
Kutt grønnsakene i fine strimmler og fres dem i olivenolje inntil mør. Kryddre med salt, pepper og persille. Bruk litt tahini hvis du liker det.
Kok 1/4 kopp med ris i vann eller kraft.


*Tahini. Jeg leste at dette er en paste med  sesamfrø og olivenolje. Når jeg romsterte igjenom kjøkkenbenken fant jeg noe som jeg hittil hadde brukt i brødbaksten min. Frøene ble toastet litegrann i en panne og så knust ved hjelp av kjøkkenmaskin. Blandet med litt salt og olivenolje og vips - min egen Tahini var ferdig. Nå må jeg bare finne ut hvor jeg kan bruke det i.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.