Followers

Thursday 11 April 2013

Spring is in the air and grape fruits for a sauce?

I don't know, but this posting was destined to be online yesterday. Today when I checked - it showed up as a draft. I am sure I published it!
Well here it goes:

I am so excited! There are signs of that spring is around the corner!
A crocus is peeking out of the ground
When I went around in the garden I saw some bulbs are tentatively showing
grows. In the distance I could hear a cardinal's distinctive song.
Lots of juncos, starlings and robins on the lawn. They all disappeared when I showed up outside. I would have to have a window seat like Al to get a better opportunity.

Back to the kitchen counter.
I thought I would make something new today, but when I checked online it turned out others tried it already.
That's the way it is nowadays with connection to internet and all kind of gadgets.
It reminds me of the tale of the hare and the hedge hog. Whenever the hedge hog arrived at the goal, the hare was there first.

Well, we got a bag full of pink grape fruits lately, and since we are not used to eat them regularly there are still some left on the kitchen counter.
So, today while I was cooking chicken breast in the oven, I looked at the grape fruits and thought that I could maybe use their juice in the sauce.

And it was good indeed. Served on rice and stir fried vegetables.
Chicken breast in grape fruit sauce
For the one's that might be interested in my recipe....

Ingredients:

2 grape fruits, juice of
1 cup of chicken broth
1 Tblsp ginger, ground
1/2 tsp peanut butter (or sesame oil)
1/4 tsp chili, ground
1 Tbsp dried onions
sugar or honey to taste

no salt

Directions:
Simmer the chicken breast in a mixture of juice and broth at 350 F for about 1 hour. Fill up with broth if necessary. When the chicken is done, separate and simmer the sauce for a while. If it is too acid use 1/2 tsp baking soda to neutralize. Therefore I didn't use salt. Soda takes the edge away but makes it kind of salty.

Served with rice and stir fried vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.