Followers

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Fresh Lettuce in October?

Just a few days ago my dear husband mentioned that he was missing our salads with garden-fresh lettuce and herbs. Today I had a surprise.

Where does this lettuce come from? asked J.P. incredulous.
Out of the garden! 
NO! YESSS!
On October 29th !
Temperatures have been dropping from week to week now but, there is still some sort of life in my garden patch.
After dinner I walked over to take a few shots. Just to prove it. :))
Some lettuce and Parsley have survived so far. I kept an old plexiglass window tilted halfway over the plants to give them a bit of protection against the chill. It paid off so far.
Look, there is even a pea growing! Hey, dude, you are LATE!
On the other side Cosmos and Pot Marigolds (calendula) are glowing in the setting sun.
Tonight will be the first night with temperatures falling under 32°F (0°C).

The pumpkin has to sleep in the house for sure. Otherwise it will get mushy.

So,what did we have for dinner?
Baked chicken breast, rice and a tossed salad, with lettuce and tomatoes from my own garden.
But I guess this will definitely be the last lettuce for this season - or?

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.