Followers

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Bea's Special-Mango-Mix


Hubby came home from shopping and dropped a mango fruit on the counter top.
Mango
He asked me: Can you make something with that?

Well, what would you like? I asked.
MANGO CREME! 

And what about dinner?
I had in mind to do something with the cold, grilled chicken breast we had in the fridge and, I found a recipe for mango-pineapple salsa.

As usual I DID NOT have all the ingredients at hand and had to make my own version.
Chicken in mango-pineapple salsa on rice

Dessert:
Mango creme, would you know how to make that - I didn't.
But I found something here that worked as an inspiration. Though, I used only half of the fruit and didn't cook the mango.
Mango,heavy whipping cream and pineapple

Result :))

During the course of the meal I just heard this noise: 

"MMHH, good, mmm. That was real good - mmmh.  Heavenly food! 

See: You can do it, even if you don't have all the ingredients required. Just take what is there and make the best out of it.


Here is the original recipe for the salsa.

Ingredients: my alterations are shown in brackets

1/2 pineapple, cored, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rings (used 2 pineapple rings from a can, cut in small bits)
1 mango, peeled, pitted, and chopped
(used only 1/2 mango)
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
(used 1/2 small green squash)
1/2 red onion, chopped
(brown onion, a small wedge)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
(2 fresh basil leafs)
3 tablespoons olive oil
(1 tsp coconut oil)
1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
(1/2 tsp dried ginger)
1 jalapeno, or to taste, chopped
(some of my own sun dried tomatoes in olive oil)
1 to 2 limes, juiced
(1/2 cup of orange juice)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
(1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes)
(sugar to taste)
(3 slices of boneless chicken breast, grilled, in slices)

Side dish: (1 cup of rice, water), boiled separately

Directions:
Sautée the onions and add chopped vegetables. Sautée a minute more before adding the fruit pieces. Season and simmer until the rice (side dish) is boiled. Add chicken stripes for about 5 minutes to warm up in the salsa.


1 comment:

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.