Followers

Monday 11 July 2011

Stir Fried Vegetables with Brown Rice

Today I had to go to town and I was again back just before dinner time. Therefor a quick meal was imperative.
The first  thing I did, after putting down my purse, was setting 1 cup of brown rice to boil with 1/2 cup of water and a cube of chicken broth. This type of rice takes between 45 - 60 minutes to cook. I could have used 5-min rice but, we like the brown variant better.


15 minutes before the rice is done I and cut all kind of vegetables into smaller pieces.
1 carrot, 1/2 red bell pepper, some broccoli, a stalk of celery, 1/2 cup of frozen peas, some sweet corn kernels (leftover from yesterdays meal), 1 onion, (1 clove of garlic). Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil,1 tsp olive oil and stir onion and garlic first, add carrot, celery and fry for 3 - 4 minutes until filling up the rest of the vegetables. Season with salt , black pepper and ginger. Fresh ginger would be the best but I found only powered ginger between my backing stuff. While looking for the ginger I found a jar with sesame seeds. I added 1 tablespoon into the pan as well.
Since my dear husband needs some meat with the dinner I sliced some sausage for him and added it just before I filled up the plates.


Dinner today is: Stir fried vegetables with brown rice.

Remark: In case someone wants to know: Yes, we only eat one helping. To keep the weight down! :))


 Die Deutsche Ecke:

Heute war ein Stadbesuch angesagt und ich kam deshalb erst kurz vor der Abendbrotzeit nach Hause. Ein einfaches Mahl war mein Ziel.
Gleich nachdem ich ins Haus kam habe ich erst einmal eine Tasse Naturreis mit 2,5 Tassen Wasser zum Kochen aufgesetzt. Der Reis dauert etwa 1 Stunde bis der gar ist. Ich könnte 5 Minuten Reis verwenden, aber wir bevorzugen Naturreis.
15 Minuten bevor der Reis gar ist bereite ich verschiedene Gemüse vor. 1 Karotte, 1/2 rote Paprika, 1 Stange Sellerie, 1 Tasse Mais (Rest von gestern), eine Rosette Broccoli, 1/2 Tasse gefrorene Erbsen, 1 Zwiebel und (1 kleine Zehe Koblauch).
2 Eßl Speiseöl, 1 Eßl Olivenöl erhitzen und die Zwiebel mit dem Knoblauch anbraten. Karotten und Sellerie hinzufügen, eine Weile braten und nach und nach den Rest hinzufügen. Mit Salz, Peffer und Ingwer würzen. Frischer Ingwer wäre besser, aber zwischen meinen Backutensilie konnte ich nur gemahlenen Ingwer finden. Doch ich fand auch ein Glas mit Sesamkörnern von denen ich dann noch 1 Eßl zum Gemüse gab. Und weil mein liebe Gatte nun einmal gerne Fleisch ißt habe ich kurz vor dem Servieren noch ein paar in Scheiben geschnittene Würstchen beigefügt.

Und wenn einer fragt: Ja, wir essen nur eine Portion. Wegen der schlanken Linie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.