Followers

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Haddock Filets, Carrots and Peas


Haddock Filets, Carrots and Peas

The typical situation occurs. I am sitting on the couch enjoying a new book about gardening when my dear husband plops on the sofa opposite and -
drops the dreaded question - "what do we have for dinner tonight?" ARRGH.
He just had his coffee and some cake. Now, how can it be that his mind is focused on eating again?
My reply a standard as well: "I have no idea."
He remembers some frozen haddock in the fridge. "Make something with that. Let's have fish today."


Sigh. Well, then. Haddock filet it will be.


What do we have else? Carrots and frozen peas, and - I think your is guess right: POTATOES.


Carrots, Peas and Haddock filets


Remove 5 haddock filets from the freezer and drop them into water to melt.
Bring potatoes to a boil. They are my timer for the rest.


Chop 3 carrots in slices, add 2 cups of frozen peas and set all to steam them in a bit of water. Slice an onion and mince a boat of garlic.
Heat a dollop of butter and a tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and the minced garlic. Take the haddock out of the water and dry with kitchen paper.
Season with salt, lemon pepper and fresh ground black pepper.
Add into the pan and fry on low heat for about 10 min.
Since the fish was frozen I get a nice fish fond in the pan. Adding juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 cup of whipping cream.


Haddock filets and onion rings


Somehow the sauce was not as it should be. My eyes scan the kitchen and stop on a bottle of white wine.
I contained about 1 glass of wine - the leftover from another dinner.
That's what is missing. Pour 1 glass of white wine into the pan and thicken the sauce with 1 tbsp of starch.


The knife test shows that my potatoes are ready. Drain the carrots and peas - they should nearly be steamed dry by now.
Strawberry Kiwi Mousse
Dessert: there is some strawberry/kiwi mousse left in the freezer. That will do.


I'll let you know how I made that when I have to make a new batch.
Dinner is ready.
Remark:
How to avoid the weeping when working on an onion? People tend to bend over the onion while copping them. It works better when I keep the onion as far as possible away from me on the table. I guess the pungent air raises straight up and that way I keep my eyes out of the way. No weeping any more.

Schellfischfilets mit Erbsen und Möhrengemüse
Die gefrorenen Schellfischfilets zum Auftauen in etwas Wasser geben.
Die Kartoffeln zum Kochen aufsetzen. Möhren in Scheiben schneiden, 2 Tassen gefrorene Erbsen dazugeben und mit etwas Wasser gar dünsten.
Eine Zwiebel und eine Knoblauchzehe kleinschneiden, mit etwas Butter und 1 Tl Olivenöl anbraten. 
Die Schellfischfilets aus dem Wasser nehmen, mit Küchenpapier abtrocknen, mit Salz, Zitornenpfeffer, schwarzem Pfeffer würzen. 
Dann zu den Zwiebeln in die Pfanne geben und etwa 10 Min ziehen lassen. Den Fischsud mit Saft einer halben Zitrone, etwas Sahne und einem Glass trockenem Weißwein abschmecken. Eventuell mit Maisstärke andicken. 
Als Nachtisch: Erdbeer-Kiwi Mousse aus dem Gefrierfach. Das Rezept beschreibe ich euch ein anderes Mal.













No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.