Followers

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Pork in Orange / Chocolate Sauce

You did read right!
The simmering stew and...
A package of pork stew meat was sitting in the fridge awaiting to be made into something eatable.
And, recently I found a recipe that was called: Pork sirloin with chocolate orange sauce.

Is it possible to combine pork and chocolate? Really?
There was only one way to find out, I had to go and try!

J.P. 's remark after he started eating: " What is that? The sauce tastes something like ...mmh, I don't know but it is good."
Upon telling him that it was a orange/chcolate sauce he looked at me saying: "You are kidding me, right?"
Wrong.
As it happened so often - some of the ingredients i didn't have.
Here is what I made out of the original.
To balance the acidity of the orange juice I chose to add some sugar. And, I can imagine that, if I had had one, a drop of cream would have been good to add too.
Since I didn't have any baking chocolate in my pantry either, I had to improvise and make some. (see: directions)
Nonetheless, the whole turned out to be a very tasty stew, in a rich brown sauce. Definitely a good combination that I will use again.
The final Pork stew with orange/chocolate sauce

As an additional information:
The day after I mixed the leftovers of two stews I made on March 5 and March 6.
Hubby and I agreed that the combination was even better.
The reason:  the chocolate flavour was there, but more subtle. 


Ingredients: (My own alterations are shown in brackets).

2 lbs pork tenderloin (pork stew meat, cut into small pieces)
salt
pepper
(sugar)
(1 tbsp ground sweet paprika)
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided (2 tbsp vegetable oil)
1 cup orange juice (and some water)
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated (1 tbsp ground ginger)
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped (1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, oil)

Directions: (for the original recipe go here)
(Heat the oil and brown the meat for a few minutes. Add  seasoning and orange juice. Simmer for about one  hour. Add on water as needed, but keep it to a minimum, just so that the meat doesn't cook dry.

Chocolate is a combination of cocoa and cocoa butter so, I  mixed cocoa powder with little bit of water until dissolved, added 1 tbsp oil, (preferable coconut oil) and mixed the fluid cocoa to the meat about 5 minutes before serving.

Side dish: Pilaff rice and stir-fried, mixed vegetables.

4 comments:

  1. Whoever would have thought about a chocolate stew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know, it Does sound good!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very interesting recipe to add to my files thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good. Pork is kind of sweet, anyway, and adding the chocolate and orange makes sense. I usually have a sweet bar-b-que sauce with pork tenderloin. Orange juice and chocolate would be even better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.