Followers

Saturday 15 February 2014

Cherry Pie Bars


My contribution to the big Valentines Party this year was a Cherry Pie Bar cake.
Since it was too hot to bake it in the morning, I did the baking the night before.
If it looks odd, that's because a part is not evenly sprinkled with chocolate. That's for the chocolate "haters".
When I picked up the tray there was only a few pieces left.
I definitely will keep that in my repertoire, but I would go a little lighter on the almond extract next time. It has a tendency to be a little overpowering.

Ingredients:
1 cup of butter softened (2 sticks)
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cans of cherry pie filling (don't use one; it is best with two)

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 350°F 
In a mixing bowl, cream your butter, sugar. Add eggs and extract, beat well to mix. Add flour and salt, mixing well.
Spread half of the batter in a greased 9x13 pan, spoon the pie filling over the batter, randomly drop tablespoons remaining batter over the pie filling.
Bake for 35 min or until a toothpick comes out clean

If you wish to add a glaze mix 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 tsp almond extract (take rather 1/4 tsp here), 2 tsp milk and drizzle on bars after they are cooled.
Melt some semi sweet chocolate chips and add it to the drizzle you like the combination cherry/chocolate. 

1 comment:

I love getting a comment from you now and then. Be patient, they will appear, I just have to see first if they are OK to publish. No anonymous any more. I am getting too much spam.